How to Apply for Australian Dependent Student Visa
How to Apply for Australian Dependent Student Visa
An international student who enters Australia with a student visa to pursue an academic course of 12 months or longer duration is allowed to bring close family members as dependents. Australian immigration rules allow spouses, partners and unmarried children of less than 18 years to be eligible for dependent student visas.
Eligibility Criteria for Australian Dependent Student Visa
To be eligible to enter Australian as a dependent on a student visa the following are the eligibility conditions:
For dependent spouse or partner
· The dependent person must be your spouse (the person you are married to) or de facto partner (including same sex partners)
· If the dependent is your de facto partner, you must have been living with your partner for at least 12 months, and you share a genuine and exclusive relationship with your partner
For dependent child
· The dependent child must be your child or that of your partner
· The child must not be married or engaged to be married or in a de facto relationship
· The child must be less than 18 years of age and must be still in continuous education (i.e. studying A-levels)
To bring your family members as dependents on your Australian student visa you must declare your family members in your visa application form, even if they may not travel with you to Australia. If you do not declare all family members in your visa application, they will not be eligible to apply for a dependent visa once you arrive in Australia.
In case you are including your dependent family members in your original student visa application, then you must include all members of your family on your original application form.
In case you are applying for family members to join you after you have started your course in Australia, then you must submit the following documents:
· Form 919 (Nomination of student dependents)
· An original letter from the education provider stating:
1. The course you are studying
2. The duration of the course and the expected date of completion
3. If you are satisfying all course requirements
· Evidence of having enough money to support your dependents in Australia
· Evidence of your relationship with your dependents in the form of officially issued birth certificate and marriage certificate
· Evidence of school enrolment for your school-aged dependents
· Evidence of health insurance for each dependent
Rights Granted Under Australian Dependent Student Visa
Dependent partners are granted work rights in Australia. These rights depend on the course of study of the student. These rights are:
· A dependent partner can study in Australia for any course of 3 months or lesser duration
· For a student pursuing a bachelor’s degree, the dependent partner will be allowed to work up to 40 hours per fortnight
· For a student pursuing a master’s degree or a doctorate degree or doing research work, the dependent partner will have full and unlimited work rights
Steps to follow to apply for Australian Dependent Student Visa
To get your Australian dependent visa you will have to be nominated by your partner in his/her application for Australia student visa, or he/she will have to nominate you while already studying in Australia.
Step 1: Complete the nomination form
Your first step is to fill up the nomination form, Form 919. Do not forget to put your signature on the application form.
Step 2: Gather the required documents for the application
Make a check list of the documents that are needed to submit along with the application form. Gather all the documents and keep them ready.
Step 3: Send the nomination form to your dependent
Send the completed nomination form along with the required documents to your dependent overseas.
Step 4: Fill up the application form
Your dependent must complete online application form for an Australian student dependent visa
Step 5: Submit both the forms
Your dependent must submit the form 919 Nomination along with the required documents in the online system
Step 6: Pay required application fee
Your dependent must pay the applicable fee for the dependent student visa at the time of submitting the application form
Step 7: Grant the dependent visa
Required Fees for Australian Dependent Student Visa
Before submitting your application form, check the latest fee required for dependent student visa on the website of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, Australian Government.
· Your application fee will not be refunded if your application for a dependent visa is refused or rejected for any reason.
· The conversion into Indian currency is based on current conversion rates, which may change.
· The visa application fee is subject to change at any time.
Dos and Don’ts for Australian Dependent Student Visa
You must remember the following dos and don’ts for Australian Dependent Student Visa.
· Declare your family members in your Australian student visa application form, even if they may not travel with you to Australia
· Fill up your application form carefully with all accurate details as incomplete application forms will not be accepted under any circumstances
· Bring original copies and photocopies of all supporting documents when you come to submit your application form online
· Do not present false documents for your visa
Do not hide or misrepresent facts in your application